Bookkeeping for Beginners
Bookkeeping for Beginners
This site is full of information to help you figure out what bookkeeping
is, how it works and how to use it in business so you can do it with
Whether you are:-
- A student wanting to learn more, or
- a small business owner needing to set up your business accounts, or
- a new bookkeeper who needs more guidance, or an experienced one looking to refresh your facts...
...you are in the right place!
You can click or tap your way through the image options below - these represent just a snippet of what you will find on this site.
Bank Reconciliation Statements
Excel Cash Book
You will learn how to do various tasks such as:-
The presentation of this information comes from two angles:-
- How bookkeeping works - describing the principles and methods of entering the financial data into the books in an organised way.
- How to use it - putting into practice the methods learned above in a business setting and supporting that with structured office procedures.
Besides clicking on the links on this page, the search bar above or the navigation buttons on your left will take you to where you need to go.
"I cannot thank you enough for your site and all the expertise put in
such a simple manner! I`ve started self- employment and running the
finances of my business was a terror! Not anymore! I can grasp the basics
and learn a little more everyday with your information!" Ana
"Amazingly helpful, getting me out of a pickle, thank you for sharing." Iain
"I am very impressed with what I have read and as a new learner in BOOK- KEEPING I think I will be in a position to benefit a lot." Lacere
"Very informative, love your site" Avisha
"Your site is very helpful. I will recommend it to anybody who wants to
major in Accounting and wants to understand the basic topics in
So, How Does Bookkeeping Work?
Well, there are two methods to choose from:-
- Basic cash book where figures are entered once (singly entry) - great for starting up small and for easing you into the next method.
- Double entry, where the same amount is literally entered twice to 'balance the books' - a term you may have heard before.
What to Do
To maintain an effective accounting system:-
Reports, Forms and Templates
- Reports pull all that data together so the powers that be (the owner or boss) can see if it is worth the effort.
- Forms and templates help keep everyone sane by introducing consistency in the day to day work.
- The blog keeps you up dated with new additions and mystery-breaking facts about bookkeeping
news is current and interesting and there are often stories about fraud
and embezzlement - something all businesses need to learn to guard
- If you are just itching to get an answer to a question, don't wait! Go to the contact page and send in your query.
- There is a Facebook Comments box at the bottom of each page, feel free to add in your constructive two cents worth!
Are you a Small Business Owner?
When planning your business a key consideration will be how you are
going to tackle the financial records. Every business needs to have a
structured method of recording the money coming in and going out the
The question is whether or not you as the business
owner with limited knowledge want to labour through this job yourself or
hire the services of a professional.
If you have enthusiasm,
patience, and time then your answer should be yes to doing it yourself!
You might also be motivated by your desire to keep your costs down.
course, this is just until your business grows and you find yourself
running haggard trying to juggle all the different aspects - by which
time outsourcing the work to a bookkeeper could be a fabulous idea!
Are You a Student?
Are you currently studying this subject or business, finance or
I am sure you will find this resource an excellent aid and
addition to your study material. If you are a younger student wondering
if you should do bookkeeping, go to my 'About Me' page - you may (or may
not!) find it encouraging. If you have any questions please feel free
to contact me.
Remember to bookmark this site so you can easily return!
Are You a Bookkeeper, Accounts
Administrator, Office Clerk....?
me now, delve deeper into this site by clicking on the links to the
left (you might have to scroll up a bit). Go the site map or enter a
search term in the Google bar near the top of this page if you are
looking for something specific.
Back to Top: Beginner Bookkeeping